Monday, January 26, 2009

Golden Rules of Kitchen Organization

So today is the day to tackle the pantry! Yuk!!! I have thought this over a million times and sometimes you just have to work with what you have right? Yes I would love to rip out my pantry and design something new but its not top on my list of home remodels. My pantry is very deep so things can really get lost in there and its usually very full. I will be taking before and after pics to post this evening so look for them. Until that time here are some tips and pics I found for inspiration. Wish me luck!!!!

Just a quick list of tips I found!

1. Store things where you use them. Pots and pans are best kept near the range or cooktop; mixing bowls, near the countertop you use for food preparation; plates, glasses, and flatware, near the dishwasher.
2. Group like items together -- store all bakeware in the same cupboard, all wooden spoons in the same ceramic crock, all spices in the same drawer.
3. Store your most frequently used items in the most accessible places. Keep things you use most often at eye level; store heavy items below waist level and infrequently used items on high shelves (keep a step stool within easy reach for such items) or in another area of the house. For example, if you use your oversized turkey platter only once a year, you don't need to store it in the kitchen at all. Instead, stow it on a high shelf in the garage or basement.
4. Declutter yearly. Take an inventory of all utensils, cookware, and dishware annually. Get rid of unnecessary duplicates, items that are damaged beyond repair, or things no longer used.
5. Keep small kitchen items in containers, see-through bins if possible, with neat, easy-to-read labels.






















2 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, now if my kitchen looked like that I could really make a mess and cook up a storm. You've done a fabulous job. Hugs, Marty

Margaret said...

Marty,
I would love to take credit for those pic's but those are not mine, just inspirition. I will be posting mine this evening..I hope! LOL